We may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.
Job search can be a long and challenging process, but it doesn’t have to be. Just like any other challenge, you also need the right “gear” for a successful job search. You should know that a successful job search doesn’t necessarily start with a killer resume (although a killer resume is important). A successful job search starts with the right planning and is supported by the right job search “gear”.
Are you trying to find the perfect gift for a job seeker? We’ve put together a list of gift ideas that every job seeker would appreciate.
Following is a list of practical gift ideas for the job seeker in your life.
Resume & Cover Letter
Number one on every job seeker’s list should be a killer resume and better than having a professional write one? A resume writing service can help create a resume that focuses on skills and talents, helping create a resume that targets specific employers and passes the 15 seconds that recruiters spend on resumes.
Resume Writing Partners:
- TopResume – Free Resume Review – TopResume writes and analyzes more resumes and LinkedIn profiles than any other service in the world. Let our resume experts provide you with objective feedback and personalized recommendations to improve your resume and land the right job sooner. Get a free, confidential resume review from TopResume.
- ResumeGenius – Get a Resume in 15 Minutes. Simple To Use, No Registration or CC Required. Phone Support. Free Resume Examples. Career Specific Examples. Professional Review. Live Chat. Easy to Use. Guided Walkthrough. Create a resume in minutes.
- Resume to Referral – Do you need a resume writing strategy that will work best for your career situation and current job search? Do you need the writing skills of a certified, published, and skilled resume writer? Look no further.
- Resume Companion – Get more interviews with Resume Companion’s Free Resume Builder. Their software has everything you need, including industry-specific bullet points, templates formatted to fit every type of job seeker, and exportable PDFs and Word docs.
- Jobscan – Optimize your resume and Boost Your Interview Chances. Jobscan is a tool that gives job seekers an instant analysis of how well their resume is tailored for a particular job and how it can be even better optimized
- ResumeWriters – The fastest way to a new job is with a new and awesome resume.
- Great Resumes Fast – Impress Employers with a Professionally-Written Resume. Your resume will include the right words, information, format and design employers want on your resume. Learn how to outsmart applicant tracking systems (ATS).
- Resumeplanet – Supercharge your resume, get the job that you deserve. Resumesplanet.com provides custom resume writing services to job applicants around the world. A great product that will vastly improve your career.
- Monster.com Resume Writing – Get your resume professionally re-written at Monster.com – satisfaction guarantee!
TopResume – Free Resume Review
TopResume writes and analyzes more resumes and LinkedIn profiles than any other service in the world. Let our resume experts provide you with objective feedback and personalized recommendations to improve your resume and land the right job sooner. Get a free, confidential resume review from TopResume
Dress for Success – Interview Wardrobe
A general rule of thumb when it comes to interviewing attire is to dress a step above what you think you should be wearing. While this does not mean you should be wearing a fitted tuxedo or a ball gown when you walk through the door, it does mean that you need to be dressed more professional than usual. Whether the company that is interviewing you dresses casual or not, dressing up is your safest bet. As you begin to pick out your outfit, ask yourself if the items you are selecting are items you would wear during your regular day-to-day errands.
Give a gift card or other support in helping your job seeker dress for the part.
- How to Dress for Success – Would you like to get a better job, earn more money? Would you like your husband to move up the ladder of success, attract more friends? Then this is your book.
- Amazon Gift Card – Give an Amazon gift card to your job seeker so that they can buy the right clothes for their job interview.
- The Job Interview Style Guide: How To Dress For An Interview And Automatically Attract Employers. The Job Interview Style Guide is a conversational step-by-step manual for men and women who want to learn how to dress for an interview and automatically attract employers in a way that will make them stand out.
- What to Wear to Your Interview – Learn One of the Biggest Secrets Hiring Managers and Recruiters Have Never Told You. Have you been going to interview after interview, but you never get that elusive job offer? It might not be your lack of experience holding you back.
Having and giving out business cards as part of a job search will make the interviewee more memorable. There are many styles and versions, but one consideration is adding a picture to the business card. Business cards with pictures have become more common and this will help the interviewer remember the applicant. The best time to give out a job seeker business card is when the resume is provided (including snail-mail resume submissions).
This is a great and relatively inexpensive gift for any job seeker.
- Avery Printable Business Cards – Printable cardstock lets you design and print your own personalized business cards. Premium business cards feature Clean Edge(R) technology so that cards snap apart easily and leave behind the smoothest cleanest edges of any printab.
- Simple Custom Premium Business Cards – These business cards have a smooth matte finish using 16pt paper (129 lbs. 350gsm) with offset two sides full-color printing. The size is 3.5 inch (width) x 2.0 inch (height),
Production Time: 3-4days, Made in the USA
- FedEx – You can print your business cards at FedEx. They have a number of styles and you can add a photo as well. You can use one of the formats they offer or create your own.
- Office Depot – There is a wide variety of business cards available at Office Depot. DIY, Standard and Luxury cards are available.
Avery Printable Business Cards
Printable cardstock lets you design and print your own personalized business cards. Premium business cards feature Clean Edge(R) technology so that cards snap apart easily and leave behind the smoothest cleanest edges of any printab
Consider getting a Career Coach or somebody who’s just starting out or is looking to make a career change. They can also help with the overall job search. Do your research to pick the right coach. For those that are struggling in their job search, a career coach can also help with interview techniques.
- TopInterview – TopIntervew provides a professional interview coaching service. At TopInterview, each session is tailored to you and your unique goals. Your choice of comprehensive packages make it easy to get the help you need to nail your interviews.
- Tony Robbins Coaching – Tony Robbins provides coaching sessions that get results. Hand-selected and trained in Tony Robbins proprietary methodologies, our Results Coaches will empower you with the focus, insight, and accountability you need to achieve the consistent results you demand.
Help your job seeker in your life by helping them set up their LinkedIn profile in a way that will attract recruiters and hiring managers. Simply exporting a LinkedIn profile into a resume format will not land an interview and, while both share a lot of common ground, there are plenty of things on LinkedIn profiles that should not be included on your resume. See below for some book ideas.
- The Power Formula for Linkedin Success – This simple, user-friendly guide explains how you can access the full power of LinkedIn–including advice on making lasting business connections, building a unique personal brand, and generating career opportunities.
- LinkedIn Unlocked – LinkedIn Unlocked is a social selling roadmap that will help you generate a consistent flow of quality leads.
- How to Write a KILLER LinkedIn Profile – Specific line by line instructions on how to create your LinkedIn profile to maximize your job search.
- LinkedIn In 30 Minutes – If you’re serious about taking your career to the next level, you need to be on LinkedIn®. In LinkedIn In 30 Minutes, author Angela Rose will show you how to make a rock-solid LinkedIn profile and expand your network.
There are countless career books, but if you want to help out your job seeker, then focus on books that help with resumes and interviews. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Knock ’em Dead Job Interview – Using his twenty-five years of experience, New York Times bestselling author Martin Yate has established a set of rules for job interviews that is sure to get you noticed.
- 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions – In today’s job market, how you perform in an interview can make or break your hiring possibilities. If you want to stand ahead. above the rest of the pack, 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions is the definitive guide you need.
- Resume Book Recommendation – CareerAlley’s list of resume book recommendations.
- Cover Letter Book Recommendations – CareerAlley’s list of cover letter book recommendations.
If your job seeker has had a difficult time finding a job, the answer may be additional skills training. Listed here are some of our skills and training partners that offer courses to boost career prospects and make it easier to find a job.
- 360 Training – Creating learning for life. The Courses You Need for the Career You Want.
- GreyCampus – GreyCampus transforms careers through skills and certification training. They are a leading provider of training for working professionals in the areas of Project Management, Big Data, Data Science, Service Management and Quality Management.
- LinkeIn Learning – LinkedIn Learning provides over 10,000 business, technology, and creative skills development courses designed for in-depth instruction and just-in-time microlearning.
- KnowledgeCity – Business Certification – The #1 resource for online video training and business certification. KnowledgeCity’s online learning platform makes training easy. Take a look at KnowledgeCity’s robust library of courses.
- KnowledgeCity – Computer Certification – Top resource for computer skills certification.
- Simplilearn – Simplilearn is one of the world’s leading certification training providers. They provide online training in disciplines such as Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, Project Management, Digital Marketing, and Data Science among others, where technologies and best practices are changing rapidly and demand for qualified candidates significantly exceeds supply.
Briefcase or Portfolio
Resume, business cards, pens, paper – lots to carry. Get your job seeker something to hold them in so that they look professional.
- STYLIO Padfolio/Resume Portfolio Folder – Interview – Elegant design featuring convenient, safe pockets ideal for documents, business cards, travel tickets, pitch proposals & resumes.
- MaxGear Professional Business Card Holder – Store approximately 10-20 business cards, also suitable for ID cards, credit cards, gift cards, and more. This business card case is made of premium stainless steel. Size: 3.7″L x 2.3″W x 0.3″H.
- Laptop Backpack – Laptop Backpack for Business with Anti Theft. Slim Durable Laptops Backpack with USB Charging Port, Water Resistant Computer Bag for Women & Men Fits 15.6 Inch Laptop and Notebook – Black.
- Leathario File Folder Padfolio – Business presentation folder Portfolio. Great for holding resumes, business cards, and a writing pad. The Product Dimensions Is 12.87″Hx10.14″Wx0.78″D. Could be put in a briefcase.
Professional Resume Printing Gear
Just because most resumes are submitted via computer doesn’t mean you don’t need to have printed copies of your resume as well. We will tell you how to print your resume professionally so you can land that dream job.
- Office Depot Resume Paper – Great quality paper for printing your resume professionally.
- Southworth Exceptional Resume Paper – Southworth Exceptional Resume Paper, 100% Cotton, 32 lb, White, 100 Count.
- HP OfficeJet – HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Wireless Printer, HP Instant Ink & Amazon Dash Replenishment Ready (K7V40A). Main functions of this printer: copy, scan, fax, wireless printing, AirPrint, touchscreen, Instant Ink ready – never run out of ink.
- HP LaserJet Pro – HP’s smallest LaserJet Pro is 35% smaller than its predecessor yet still delivers the same high quality prints you’ve come to expect
- Where to Print Your Resume – Both FedEx and Office Depot are perfect places to print your resume professionally.