In case you are approaching (or have already reached) retirement age, and also you’re not able to disconnect from the workforce, you aren’t alone — 1000’s of pros 50 and older are embarking on second-act careers.The phrase “encore profession,” made standard by Marc Freeman in his e book Encore: Discovering Work That Issues within the Second Half of Life, refers to a brand new stage of labor between the center years and true outdated age.To assist an encore profession, many professionals are re-purposing company expertise to assist nonprofit teams. Others are taking over part-time jobs to pursue new or longtime pursuits. And nonetheless others are pursuing a ardour — whereas concurrently filling a market area of interest — by beginning a small enterprise.
Is Age a Concern?
Sure, age discrimination is actual. Two out of three staff between the ages of 45 and 74 say they’ve seen — or skilled — age discrimination at work.Little doubt there are employers who can’t look previous a candidate’s age. Nevertheless, there are a lot of traits related to “outdated” which might be inside your management. These assumptions would possibly embody:
- Being rigid and unable to handle change
- Resistance to new concepts and enterprise approaches
- Being unwilling to simply accept new challenges
- Ceasing to study and improve information and expertise
- Resistance to computer systems, smart-phones, electronic mail, social media, and different expertise
- A perception that they deserve particular consideration due to their standing in life
The way you current your self in your resume, throughout the interview, and on the job, can assist sway potential employers’ perceptions about age. To start out, a robust resume is required to get your ‘foot within the door’.
It’s fairly doable you by no means had a resume— or the one you do have isn’t updated. Profession doc requirements and codecs have modified considerably over current years, and never adhering to those modifications might elevate crimson flags about your age.Does the content material and format of your resume shout, “I’m quaint” or “I’ve loads to supply, and I’m able to tackle new challenges.” ? Whether or not you rent an skilled to put in writing your resume (extremely beneficial) or DIY, following are a number of beneficial methods to enhance the vitality of your resume:
Take note of 21st century requirements for resume content material and design:
- Keep away from utilizing laptop templates — these are outdated and ineffective.
- Don’t inform your life story. A robust resume isn’t a long-winded profession obituary. It’s a advertising brochure that sells an individual’s distinctive model and worth. A contemporary resume summarizes choices in alignment with place necessities and shares supporting metrics and impacts.
- Deal with the final 10-15 years of profession historical past, eliminating age-revealing data corresponding to serving within the Vietnam Conflict or graduating from school in 1974.
- Use phrases that painting power and enthusiasm. As an alternative of “seasoned skilled” (aka “Outdated Skilled”), substitute with “enterprise skilled or chief” who “remodeled operations, ignited gross sales, pushed via new initiatives…”. You get the concept.
- Start the resume with a robust overview of your expertise and all you need to supply. Begin sturdy. Place a few of your biggest (associated) profession achievements close to the beginning of the file for rapid hook-and-grab. Want examples? See these.
- Summarize job obligations in two or three sentences and hit laborious with bulleted achievement statements that illustrate the way you saved corporations money and time and positively impacted the underside line. Outcomes are key so lead with them!
- Present that you’re versatile, handle change successfully, and settle for challenges. Spotlight initiatives you initiated, issues you tackled and resolved, and cross-functional groups you collaborated with or managed.
- Deal with achievements as an alternative of duties. A play-by-play of job obligations will earn you no distinction. With loads of expertise to attract from you need to have a wealth of stellar examples to again up your acclaimed ability units.
- Don’t simply inform an employer you might be good at one thing…i.e: “I’m a robust chief”…PROVE it: “Directed a group of 50 via the creation of the primary 5-year marketing strategy”.
- Preserve ‘fluff’ to a minimal: excellent communicator, glorious group participant, hard-working skilled are weak phrases with little worth.
- Modernize the resume look and pair efficient content material with progressive design. A reverse-chronological resume typed in black Instances New Roman font screams old-school…not up-to-speed savvy skilled. Contemplate including testimonials, graphs, charts, or a splash of coloration for higher visible enchantment.
Present the employer that you just embrace expertise:
- Embrace your electronic mail handle (not your loved ones’s or partner’s) and don’t use foolish account names corresponding to “[email protected]” or “[email protected]”
- Embrace your cellular phone quantity. Don’t have a cellular phone? Get one!
- Record your laptop expertise (at a minimal Microsoft Phrase, Excel, and/or PowerPoint). Don’t have any laptop expertise? Be taught some!
Show that you’re dedicated to steady studying:
- Embrace a piece for skilled coaching and growth — and listing issues which might be present and related to your focused job: lessons, company-sponsored coaching, conferences, workshops, and e-learning modules.
- Record the skilled associations of which you’re a member. Don’t belong to any associations? Be part of some!
- Embrace hyperlinks to articles you could have printed or to your skilled weblog or LinkedIn. Don’t have any? It’s by no means too late to begin writing posts to place your self as a thought chief.
Compel employers to see past age by creating a robust resume that demonstrates your potential to tackle duties and ship sturdy outcomes, leveraging the wealth of expertise and expertise you attained all through your long-standing profession! Need assistance? – then attain out! I’m only a telephone name away.————————————————————————————————————————————————Adrienne Tom is an award-winning resume author with Profession Impressions, the place she companions with executives and high professionals from all over the world to create compelling profession instruments. Her resumes assist astute leaders stand out towards the competitors to safe higher recognition and elevated compensation.