Looking for a new perspective that might inspire your work life to new heights in 2020? During 2019, my favorite articles seemed to center upon two key work life themes: Building foundations & strategies to achieve forward progress. I’m certain that my current work in core stability influenced the attraction — and the topics that caught my attention included self-care, resilience and failure. (BTW, I’m hoping to put all of this to good use, with a new work life community launching in 2020.)
Meanwhile, here are the articles that set my mind to wander. Please note, that while I discovered these sources in 2019, some are a bit older. I’ve also included one of my own.
Here are my favorites in no particular order. Comments welcomed.
- The 3 Stages of Failure in Life and Work (and How to Fix Them), James Clear, Medium.
- How to Do Nothing, Jenny Odell, Medium. (This meanders. Try to stick with it. Skip to Section 5 if needed.)
- The Dark Side of Resilience, Thomas Chamorro-Premuzic & Derek Lusk, HBR.
- If You Want Engaged Employees, Offer Them Stability, Marla Gottschalk, HBR
- How to Move from Self-Awareness to Self-Improvement, Jennifer Porter, HBR.
- The Purpose of Life Is Not Happiness, It’s Usefulness, Darius Foroux, Darius Foroux.com.
- If you want it you might get it. The Reticular Activating System Explained, Tobias van Schneider, Medium. (Note: The Law of Attraction is mentioned. I’m not a proponent.)
- Small is Beautiful: Using Gentle Nudges to Change Organizations. Carsten Tams, Forbes.
Have another to share with the community? List it in comments.
Dr. Marla Gottschalk is an Industrial/Organizational Psychologist and a charter member of the LinkedIn Influencer Program. Her training series The Core — helps people & organizations build a stronger work life foundation. Her thoughts on work life have appeared in the Harvard Business Review, Forbes, BBC Work Life, Quartz and The Huffington Post.