It was astonishing to learn that a previously successful speaker could not easily transition to the newer way of doing business. Ironically, the newer way includes being social online, and we all know that is no longer new. You can guess he is rapidly moving backward and doesn’t know what to do.
“Recognizing a problem allows us to set goals and revamp activities.”
In each phase of career or business, and on occasion, we need to reflect on our starting point and how we got to where we are today. Then we should consider the current trend of the day. The question to ask ourselves include, “how can our work may be upgraded to reflect what is in vogue?” Even better is to mull over the early stages of the latest announcement to consider improved opportunity.
Long ago, I learned in science class about ‘survival of the fittest.’ The teacher was speaking of the decline of the dinosaurs. They weren’t able to adapt to environmental change. In our world, the survival of the fittest applies to all endeavors. Without embracing change in our business environment, none of us will survive.
As I continued to speak with Jim, he stopped to stumble over words as he admitted no thought was given to his client perspective. The question of why no one responded to his intense mailing was answered. Questions then revealed he never took the time to become acquainted with social media, the notion of branding, or anything more modern to stay in front of his intended clientele. My questions awakened realization as to why business appeared to be impossible.
Read the business news and glance at online postings to gain the thought of the day. Even if you are just starting out in your career, you want to become comfortable with the idea that embracing change enables transitioning into new directions. It’s the only way you will advance your career and stay on target with your audience.
Answer these questions:
- Have you pushed aside new ideas; is it time to revisit them?
- Do you scoff at or keep up with trends?
- What do you see ahead that could make a big difference in your work, and is it time to pursue?
Promise yourself to never concern yourself with friends laughing at your silly ideas. Your goal should always be to move forward and stay ahead of the curve. Remaining in a comfort zone with others will only produce regret later on. Instead, remain focused on your vision, and be willing to work alone until the rest of the crowd looks to you for help. By educating yourself on the new, you are positioned to either create new services to sell or advance your career. In either case, you will be seen as a thought leader as you develop admiration of your personal brand.
- Embrace change and lead the way.
- Learn from leaders in the field.
- Take additional classes to enhance your learning.
- Create new services that complement what is in place.
- Learn to communicate in the newer styles to remain credible and in demand.
- Be willing to learn from all generations to implement the best.
- Adapt everything you learn to your style.
- Prioritize new strategies regarding effectiveness and time to devote.
- As you embrace the new, be certain all systems work harmoniously.
- Celebrate Success!